Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Comparison Game

Here's to my first picture which I shall call "The Comparison Game"

I'm still working on it.

I'm not really aiming towards making something so beautiful that your eyes will bleed rainbow tears and you'll feel inadequate.
No.
I'm just trying to capture the kids emotions. The best way I do that is by simplifying the characters looks. (I can also capture characteristics better... without having to be tedious)
As you can see it's pretty blank at the moment and that's the exchange of words the kids are suppose to have. (No I won't photoshop write it in that's cheesy)
The background will have cubbies because that's where all the talking action happened. We lined up against the cubbies to go somewhere. I'm thinking of lining and water coloring it in. The kids will be colored with prismacolor markers. As for the words I'm debating between writing it or typing it and printing it out. There will be 3 layers: background cubbie layer, two boys and their words layer, then the girl and her words layer.

There is one thing I'm concerned about, her arm. She's suppose to have the outstretched as she tries to get their attention. Her arm extended more but I thought Id' look better if I shortened it. Any suggestions? I'm wondering if having a colored and detailed background will mask the fact that her arm looks so... awkward... iunno...

And an update... too long later... I inked it... now I just need to color EVERYTHING and add in the bubbles
And after much coloring... I RUINED THE PICTURE!!! I am so mad... you can't see it with my ghettoh cell phone photo... but there are so many errors and whatnot... I'm so mad! SO SO SO SO MAD!!! SO VERY MAD!!! AND MY LIGHT UMBER PRISMACOLOR MARKER RAN OUT!!! ASKjfksajfkljakslfjdklasjdfkjsakfjkj!!!! AND WHERE IS MY VALUE!!!? This picture makes me furious! I want to shread this picture!


Usually my pictures take 10 hours. (I timed it.) My last AP art pictures (my failed ones from my last school) took me roughly 10 hours. However, I had issues with the characters sketches and yada yada IN THE END IT HAS TAKEN ME 12+ hours!!! I'm going to be pulling an all nighter to finish all 3 pictures! And I'll probably work smaller... ugh... that was something I didn't want to succumb to. I didn't want to draw printer page size or smaller but it seems that will happen...

You know what also makes me angry? Markers and how quickly they dry! You know what I've heard? "Markers are like a paintbrush. You should use them as if you're holding a paintbrush with paint." It's true... all those strokes DO COUNT. And if you work too big your picture will end up streaky... just like mine... D:

And I hate background! I avoid backgrounds at all cost! But this time I thought "Hey! Let's challenge ourselves... kinda..." So I added the cubbies... but they ended up being a problem child in which involved minor PERSPECTIVE. AUGH!!!!!!! Then the painting was tedious... kasljdflkjsa;dfj;asjfdkjsafdj....

All in all this picture has made me VERY ANGRY AND FRUSTRATED. And I have yet to add text... once that's done I'm kinda done... I have to iron my pictures out to flatten it... but watch me come back to say one of the pictures burned... aslkjflkasjdfkjsa;dfj;sjdf

>:I

Then I get to start and, hopefully, finish my second piece tonight... tomorrow... sometime... whatever.

[/13 ish hours later]
So... ... ... I have run into a problem... I have a problem... D: I realized there were words in my picture. However... am I to print it out and add them? Or do I actually write them? The only problem with writing them (not only... the BIG PROBLEM WITH WRITING THEM) is that I have to do a very good job at it. I have to have lines and whatnot... proper typography skills which... I've never done that before. Scratch that. I've tried my hand at typography but failed miserably free handedly. For now... i'll use typed words unless stated otherwise... however... I have this lingering gut feeling I'm going to be told writing it would be better... for the overall feel of the picture.

I'm going to finish the rest of this later today. I need to work on something else. What's left to do is to iron out the pictures, glue backgrounds onto the words, and then glue it all down. AKA 1 and 1/2 hours. And let me tell you... when I estimate I know how long something will take. :C

No comments:

Post a Comment