Thursday, February 18, 2010

Hey guys I think you need to critique...

CONCENTRATION STATEMENT:

In my concentration I wanted to reflect upon the memories of adolescent times as well as focus on the ridiculous shenanigans of children. (Not to say that some of the tendencies don’t evolve or stick as a child ages.) I, also, wanted the piece to ring a nostalgic bell in the viewer’s head. Recalling all those ridiculous moments, where they wish they could disappear when they were a child; but laugh at as they aged. Hopefully, my art will serve as single frame entertainment that plays out as a more intricate story through memories in the viewer’s head.

(yeah... still a work in progress due to its length...)

Puppy Love

For the piece titled 'puppy love' I envisioned two children absorbed in 'la la land' because they're totally infatuated with each other. I recall, when I was in elementary school, children usually realized they liked each other on the playground and two things usually happened. One, the rumors of a couple spread like wildfire, even if you didn't know the kids. Two, they ended up spending all their time together swinging, jump roping, etc. However, in this piece, I wanted to emphasize how the rest of the kids went along their own business as these two were in their own world. I know I did.

From an artistic standpoint I didn't really sit down and ask 'what principles/elements of art did this cover?' So I guess I'm required to look at my piece and make it fit. Due to the fact the figures, aside from the couple, are silhouettes this piece uses emphasis to make a point. Proportion helps show the couple's place in the grand scheme: which is amongst everyone else. And, despite the wacky shapes and colors, I'd like to argue there is unity due to the color choice. I also used explosive colored, shapes for the silhouettes, and some movement due to these shapes having action poses, as opposed to the couple.

The Brawl of 5th Grade

The story behind this piece goes like this... In 5th grade this kid named Freddy decided to visit the school after he moved. One way or another he, and this other kid named Brandon, got into a brawl on the kickball field. (the kickball field is where all the action happened) I was playing in the field, at that time, away from the kickball field. Soon, I saw my 5th grade teacher, Mr. Hamblin, rushing across the schoolyard and onto the field with a very serious expression. He, then, grabbed one by the wrist and the other by the ear and pulled them to the principles office. It was quite dramatic. So I wanted to stick it on paper. Funny thing is, this is the only fight I've ever seen when it comes to school. (even Clackamas had fights but, for one reason or another, I missed them)

As for the elements/ principles of art I didn't really take that into consideration. All I knew is that I wanted to have Brandon, Freddy, and Mr.Hamblin, in the foreground, and all the kids in the background. I kinda wanted a balance. The trio would be darkened, in the front, so not too much emphasis would be on them. The kids, on the other hand, would be small and insignificant in the back. But they would still help set the mood for the picture as you viewed their faces and gestures. Therefore, the use of Emphasis was key in this picture. I also wanted value, with the use of color, to help with trying to make an emphasis. As well as balance, so one group of people wasn't overshadowed by the other. Proportion also helped show where the different spectators were in the piece in comparison to where all the action and 'truth' was occurring. There, since the spectators were so small and far away, it allowed them to speculate because there was a degree of separation. I also wanted to try and achieve some space, due to the background, but I fear I didn't really do that...

SOME THINGS POINTED OUT:::
Q: If it's a bright and sunny day where are the kid's shadows on the grass?
A: ... hahahahahaha I forgot about that... (I'll make sure to add that in when the picture is back in my hands)

Q: Where are the kids eyes?
A: I tried to add a cast shadow over them so they couldn't be seen. I was... how do I say this? Kind of like how things in the foreground in movies are blurry so you will focus on the background just as much as the foreground? Kind of like that. I suppose... to sum it up... I wanted it so the viewer wasn't all like 'FOCUS ON THE BIG 3!' and have the kids in the background be overpowered. IDK if that was the best thing to do or if adding in two pairs of eyes really did much.

So yeah! That's about it!

10 comments:

  1. Ashley - WOW! Both of these images express the idea in such an intelligent way. You may not be thinking about the elements and principles of art when you create them but they are great examples of how the E&P enhance your work.

    I really appreciate the size considerations you made with Puppy Love. Girls are developing before boys physically and there it is. The gangly girl with the smaller boy, it's perfect. What you are attempting to do with your concentration is no easy feat and both these pieces are very clear. The focus/emphasis of the girl and boy by making an obscure background and the other children stylized. Brilliant.

    I was concerned about your 'scared in the dark' image about value and contrast issues but you tackled those demons in the Brawl of 5th Grade. I think the defined foreground, middle ground, background was the key.

    Keep it up, you are original and have a clear personal voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a fan of The Brawl of 5th Grade. It definitely shows the fascination of the children in the background with the fate of the two unfortunate enemies. I think my favorite part is the teacher, though. I really like how you cannot see his entire face so you can't judge his mood from his facial features. However, the message is still so clear by the position of his hands/arms separating the two boys and dragging them off for punishment. I think just including a section of his body and not trying to fit the whole figure in was a good use of space. Also, the values are very nice with the use of lights and darks in the clothing and trees. I would almost want to see more shadows on the grass though, because it looks like a sunny day from the blue sky in the background, but the children aren't casting any distinct shadows.
    p.s. do the boys have eyes??

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all I would just like to say-WOW! I love your art, and i keep getting excited to see what else you will create throughout this year. I am very impressed with your work.

    Alright, so Puppy Love, I really like where you are going with this. So lets talk about the elements of art first of all! I think that you have a very distinct way of demonstrating color, you use very brilliant/vibrant color choices. Also you displayed a good use of form, the shapes of children running around the detailed puppy lovers demonstrates your hopes of creating a la la land very well. I'm not sure there is much use of value throughout puppy love, but I do like how the background is a less vibrant shade of color, I think that that provides a nice display of value within the piece. Alright, so to talk about some principles of art, I am going to begin with emphasis! The silhouettes of running children and light background pulls the viewers eyes to the puppy lovers whose colors are more vibrant and detailed. There is definitely some movement within your piece. I feel like there is a unity throughout the drawing because of the color choice and line choice.

    Alright, the Brawl of 5th Grade. I love this piece as well! You should be illustrating children books -__-. Okay so the value in this piece is much more advanced than puppy love, because it is more detailed I believe.The shading and detail that goes into each individual and tree is amazing, especially since it remains looking cartoony and fun! The emphasis on the brawl is well demonstrated through the grip of the teacher and the struggle of the children and the fascination of the children on the playground. One thing i would like to ask is where are the kids eyes?!

    I love your work, keep it up :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay so this sucks cause i accidently forgot to confirm my comment so i have to write this all over again...

    anyway firstly i just wanted to say that now that i know your overall concentration idea, its easy to see that your pieces work really well together to portray your idea (: your style is really consistent in all of the pieces and they definitely look like one unified body of work.

    the puppy love piece is my favorite out of the two because of the depth you created. i love how you blocked out the other kids to create the two kids in love as your focal point, and the simplicity works really well.

    in the fight piece i love the composition and the perspective makes it look like youre viewing the piece from the eyes of another kid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should def go into illustration or something. I love how you manage to use bold colors but still keep a sense that there are lights and darks. Im not sure how to say this but you know when you can have lights and darks but it's still all the same value.... well you manage not to do that which is good. sorry if thats confusing. although i like the first one because it's funny that the girl is taller . In like it when the backgrounds are realistic like in the second one. I feel like it makes the whole picture whole. Thats just what i think but great job :) keep on truckin :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the variety of layers in the Brawl; it really gives the piece a ton of depth. The proportion is especially good between the two kids in the front and the ones in the background. I especially like how one of the kids in the back is just a little bit closer than the rest. It gives a bit more variety to the piece and makes it more asymmetrical. The shading on the teacher's shirt is done well too. Shading a white object with marker is difficult (at least for me), but you did it extremely well. :)

    While I absolutely adore it, there are a couple of things about the puppy love... Maybe there should be a bit more shadow under their feet so that they are not just. . . floating, on the heart. That would ground them a little. Unless you take it as if they ARE floating in their little la-la-land. :) I'm a little confused about the solid-green kid's hair. Is it a ponytail or a hat that they're wearing? If it is hair then it might be good to make it fringed at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can tell both are from the same body of work. The first one is captured very well, i like how you have all of the figures all unknown as if everyone doesn't exist except for them. but it might need something more aroudn the border areas (basically the white space), but i don't know what. The Brawl one is great. I first thought the guy was pepper spraying the kid in the face, but it look like he's grabbing his ear. You should destinguish the eyes more in the boys faces. I find my favorite art are the ones that make you laugh. And by that i mean with it, not at it. These pieces accomplish that for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. they look good. i do have a problem with the first one. theres not really a background. theres some sort of light wash drip thing going on, but that doesnt really allow for a story or idea to form. it just kind of turned me off from looking further. try to work something that relates to the theme, and not just something to fill the paper. its also kind of unclear to me how the solid colored kids tie in with the two more detailed ones. it just needs something to tie the whole piece together and explain it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its really easy to tell that these two pieces go together. When I read that you wanted to 'ring a nostalgic bell in the viewers head' i got excited because elementary school was one of the most fun times of my life. Can't wait to see what you come up with next, I can already relate to the first two pieces. Your sense of color is strong, but like you said, i think you should add some shadows to the second piece.

    ReplyDelete